Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Screenplay and I

One of the latest projects I have been assigned in school was to create a screenplay. My first thought was "GAH! Twenty pages!" my second thought was "Oh, the format allows me to put in extra spaces where there's talking" my thoughts throughout writing it were "Great, now I have to go back and put more spaces in" and "Why did I pick an action movie? It has almost no dialogue!"

I discovered that writing a movie isn't so different from writing anything else. Except you can't have your characters thinking without voiceover. And there's a load of formatting that really could be done without. And you can't even specify camera angles. (Even though I know a professional who says otherwise)
Not to mention you don't really have any say in the finished product. Ever hear of a Writer's cut? Neither have I. Why does anyone write scripts again?

In case you want to read it, it has the unoriginal title of "SAMURAI"

No comments:

Post a Comment